Siteground Shared Hosting Review
Siteground has been in existence for nearly ten years now, and have become widely known and accepted in the industry for pushing the technological boundaries that make them one of the fastest, most reliable and secure web hosting providers around.
You will find that Siteground is our top recommended hosting provider and a firm favorite with our readers. No other host we have reviewed comes close to the positive feedback we have received.
Siteground Shared Hosting Plans
Siteground offers three different plans for their shared web hosting; Startup, GrowBig, and GoGeek. Also, they now offer a unique WooCommerce plan that is based upon their GoGeek plan.
A Closer Look at the Premium Features at Siteground
Siteground has been very proactive over the last couple of years creating custom solutions such as SuperCacher, Developer features, or Toolkits for WordPress and Joomla. It will be exciting to see what they have installed for us all next, as it seems we now have to update our Siteground review on a regular basis just to keep up with all the new features. Here is a brief summary of our favorite Siteground features as well as links for further reading:
- WordPress & Joomla Toolkits (all plans) so you can quickly Reset Admin Passwords, change your domain, fix broken permissions, configure SSL, Secure the admin page, and move or delete your installation.
- SuperCacher with Nginx and Memcache (Static only on StartUp). This makes your WordPress, Joomla or Drupal website extremely fast, as well as see speed tests utilizing this technology below.
- Fantastic developer features (GoGeek only) such as Site Staging, WP-CLI, Drush integration and Git integration. We have written a detailed summary of all these features.
We appreciate there is quite a lot to read up on, but that just demonstrates just why they are so great.
The SiteGround Advantages
If site speed, and perhaps money, isn’t a big concern to you, and you’re the kind of guy who just loves big numbers, SiteGround surely won’t disappoint you with the number of features they boast of:
- 3 separate data centers in USA (Chicago), Europe (Amsterdam) and Asia (Singapore); allowing you to choose from 3 different locations for your server.
- Free domain (for 1 year) along with your shared hosting plan.
- Highly configured servers (*doesn’t mean your sites will load super fast). Regular hardware upgrades (last upgrade performed on all their sites in the beginning of 2013). Replacement parts always ready for quick replacement of failed hardware.
- Unique Account Isolation technology – in case a site on the same server as your site gets compromised, nothing will happen to your site.
- In case of general software vulnerabilities, like Apache or PHP vulnerabilities, they claim to fix those themselves even before the official fixes are out.
- They claim to keep all their server softwares up-to-date while, again according to their claims, “many providers fail to update their software even when an official fix is released” and “a disturbing number of them using outdated software”.
- Their servers are having an overall uptime of 99.996% thus far this year according to themselves, which, if true, is beyond impressive!
- 24×7 Live Chat & Phone Support.
- Own SuperCacher caching solution and plugin for WordPress & Joomla.
- Memcached – advanced caching solution usually not available in shared hosting environments.
- Google PageSpeed Apache module for two-click auto application of site speed best practices recommended by Google.
- Tons of other features which I probably failed to notice!
Siteground Fast Support – 15 minute ticket response
If something goes wrong, you need to know that someone will be on hand to help you out. Accidentally deleted your site? No problem. Messed Up your WordPress install or trying to work out a .htaccess 301 redirect but cannot get it to work? No problem. They have some of the most helpful, and fast support technicians we have seen.
If you sign up, just ask them a quick query. We guarantee they will respond within a few minutes. It is that fast. But it is not just about speed here.
Siteground are fanatical about WordPress, Joomla, and even Magento among many other talents. They have the technical ability to help you out, and if required can be hired to carry out more technical work too.
Simply the best and fastest support you will ever find at a web host.
Superior Uptime at Siteground
They have one of the best uptime figures going. They never have problems with their data centers, or have technicians make “mistakes” that cause downtime.
A screenshot of their publicly displayed uptime figures are shown below:
One of the reasons why their Uptime figures are so high is that they have built custom server monitoring software that can automatically resolve 90% of issues without human interaction.
They also track their servers in real time, not 1-5 minutes like other hosts. Furthermore, while other hosts can take the time to react to the downtime, you can see how their system can mean vastly less downtime.
Extremely Fast – Siteground Supercacher with Ram Based Caching
One of the most sought after things people look for in hosting is for their site to be fast. We gave them a spin with a standard theme we got off Themeforest, which although may be a little more bloated than we are used to seems to provide an excellent test to gauge the speed of the server.
We optimized the site using Siteground’s Static and Dynamic Supercache (Dynamic not available on their Startup Plan). We removed all third party scripts (social shares analytics) as we wanted to test just the server, not third party scripts that are loaded from other sites.
All these tests were carried out on Siteground GoGeek plan on their EU Server in Amsterdam:
This mirrors the kind of speeds we have seen with other web hosts that offer no server optimizations.
With their Supercacher, no Caching plugins are required (i.e. W3 Total Cache), and it can be set up in minutes. You can see the significant improvement in page load times below:
If you have any difficulty setting up their Supercacher, just get in contact with their support and they will be more than happy to help.
Great Value at Siteground with fantastic features
For all the features, you get for the price is pretty incredible, especially with the discount on your first invoice with our Siteground coupons. While the GrowBig plan and GoGeek plan are more expensive that other hosts, this is because not only do they increase Bandwidth and Disk Space with each plan, but they increase CPU usage as well.
This means that Siteground’s GoGeek plan is more akin to a semi-dedicated solution, and even then with all the developer features and other functionality it still represents an incredible value in comparison to the competition.
Final Thoughts about Siteground
Siteground are our favorite web hosting provider. They do so much more than any other host with additional Advanced Features that it is a “one-horse” race. Hopefully, you will have reviewed all the other articles we set out at the top of this Siteground review as there are many features you will want to implement (i.e. their Supercacher).
Siteground are also a big part of the WordPress and Joomla community regularly attending, sponsoring and giving talks at multiple events each year. If you ever go to a WordCamp event, the chances are you will see them there.